Sunday, November 29, 2009

Movies: Precious and The Blind Side

Recently I went to see the movies, Precious and The Blind Side, in that order.  In both movies, the protaganist is a Black teenager living under challenging conditions.  In Precious, the main character lives in an abusive home from which she needs to escape, while in The Blind Side the main character is in desperate need of a home.



Precious was based on the novel, Push, by Sapphire.  It is supposed to be fiction, but I suspect this unfortunate story is true for far too many children.  I had heard a lot about this movie over the last couple of months and was anxious to see it.  I even considered reading the book beforehand in an effort to enhance the experience, but changed my mind after someone told me it was so heartbreaking that they had difficulty finishing it.  I'd seen several interviews of the primary characters on talk shows, and read many reviews.  The Washington Post gave the movie four stars.  I knew it would be powerful so, as suggested by a friend, I packed some tissues and off to the theater I went.

Gabourey Sidibe, as Precious, owned her character, and it was hard to believe that this was her first role in a film.  I was also very impressed with Paula Patton, whose character carries so much of the heart in the story.  Mo'Nique was truly transformed, and was as dark and abusive in her role as she is funny outside it.  I enjoyed the film overall, but what surprised me was that it did not blow me away.  I didn't need the tissues.  I felt sad and even angry at times, but the tears never came.  Maybe, as a result of all the hype, I was too prepared.  I don't know, but on a scale of one to ten, I'd give it a nine.  It's definitely worth seeing, but for me the real treat was...



The Blind Side.  Hands down, I give this movie a ten.  I hadn't expected to be so touched by a movie whose trailer gives you reason to believe that it's message is wrapped up in the Great White Hope swooping in to rescue an underprivileged Black boy.  It is so much more than that.  This movie is about family, no matter what the dynamic, or the biology.  Based on the true story of Michael Oher, whose unlikely path led him to playing professional football for the Baltimore Ravens, it is indeed a movie that makes you cheer.  For this one, I needed the tissues.  My recommendation is that this movie is not to be missed.  The Washington Post gave it three stars, but I give it four.

No comments:

Post a Comment