Monday, November 16, 2009

Vignette: The Workout

He enters the room with a boom box the size of a Volkswagen Beetle, and a duffle bag that could carry a small child.  He sets down the box and starts rummaging through the bag, at which time I see that it's filled with CDs.  While searching for the right one he yells out "the class is box aerobics!  I hope you're ready because we're going to work tonight!"  He loads his CD of choice and the room fills with what sounds like house music at a night club.  He turns up the volume and moves to the front of the room.  He immediately jumps into a routine that has the class moving double-time, and after five minutes yells out, "that was your warm-up!"  I thought, he's got to be kidding.  He then leads us through a series of steps involving marching, lunging, kicking and punching, adding a new move after we've mastered each previous one.  Although his workout clothes are drenched with sweat and sticking to his lean but muscular frame, he doesn't even appear to be breathing hard.  The music increases in tempo and all of a sudden he breaks into a dance routine that looks like he's auditioning for So You Think You Can Dance.  It was as if the class had disappeared.  He's clearly in a world of his own.  When the song finally ends he comes out of his trance and calls out, "take a break everybody!".  I guess he didn't realize we just had.

2 comments:

  1. I am loving your blog. So very happy to find people with my same interests. I am on my way to check out your "Etsy Shop."

    ReplyDelete